If you missed class today, we completed the following:
Journal #5 Review Greek Culture
1. Explain why athletes in ancient Olympia were required to compete without clothing?
2. Identify the patron god of Olympia.
3. What physical and intrinsic honors were bestowed upon athletes?
4. Why is Alexander the Great such an important character regarding Greek culture?
5. Explain the dichotomy between Athens and Sparta.
6. Identify the patron god of Sparta.
7. Which architectural order is known as the "male?" Why?
8. Which architectural order began by the Greeks, but was completed by the Romans?
9. Where in Greece did the order for #8 originate?
10. Identify the "female" architectural order.
11. Explain the following quote in relationship to Classical sculpture. "Man is weak if he shows emotion."
12. Identify three characteristics of the Archaic period concerning Greek sculpture.
1.We completed the final period regarding Greek sculpture known as "Hellenistic." This period was recognized by strong realism. The emotion expressed in the face mirrored the emotion expressed in the body.
2. We then started learning about the Greek gods. We worked in groups to break down the information, and then we began sharing with the class. We did not finish this in class; we continue working on the gods on Friday.
HOMEWORK:1. Remember that your revision for your "Artist's Intent" paper is due on Friday.
2. "Quest" covering the introductory information for Greece will take place on Wed, February 22nd. Please start studying now. I will post a "practice quiz" for you below. You just need to give me time to create it.
Guys, you SHOULD NOT use your notes for this. Clearly we have an integrity issue here, as I am not sitting next to you at the moment. Use the practice quiz as a pre-test! Cut and paste the following questions into a Word document, and then respond to them from there. Good Luck!
1.Explain the basis for the "Theseus and the Minotaur" myth's significance to the Minoan culture?
2. Why was the Mycenaean culture so "interested" in the Minoan culture?
3. Why do historians believe that the "lost city of Atlantis" and the Minoan culture are connected to each other?
4. What type of artwork is this piece?
16. Explain in writing the difference between Hellenistic sculpture and the other two types.