Dear Humanities Kids,
If you missed class, we completed the following:
1. I reviewed MLA format for Internet Citations. I also returned every students' "Artist's Intent" essay assignment. The revision for the essay is due on Friday. If you missed class, please stop by so that you can pick up your paper.
2. We discussed Olympia and the significance of the Olympics. In addition, we discussed Sparta and Macedonia. Everyone watched a clip from 300 to illustrate the structure of the Spartan culture. Please visit with someone else in class to obtain the missed information, or you are welcome to stop by during a Flex session.
3. We reviewed the three Greek architectural styles. Please note the images below. This information is on the back of your handout.
Ionic (scroll), Doric (plain), Corinthian (ornate)
This column represents the DORIC order.
This column represents the IONIC order.
This column represents the CORINTHIAN order.
4. In addition, we reviewed the three different periods concerning Greek art: ARCHAIC, CLASSICAL and HELLENISTIC periods. We only discussed the Archaic and Classical periods; therefore, I will give you images below and a brief explanation for both here. Upon your return we will continue with the Hellenistic period.
The following two images depict a male (Kouros) and a female (Kore) in the ARCHAIC GREEK STYLE. They appear STIFF and FORMAL. Notice that the male's left leg extends outward indicating some "movement." Their expressions appear without emotion, except for a slight smile. Their hair also appears as if braided. This style was extremely stylized.
The following images follow the CLASSICAL style of Greek sculpture. More realistic and natural poses prevail; however, the face appears without emotion. Showing emotion indicated weakness.
1. Remember that your "Greek God Handout" is due on Wednesday.
2. The Revision for your "Artist's Intent" essay is due on Friday. PLEASE SEE ME if you missed class on MONDAY, FEB. 14th